Written by Staff Writer
17 Sep, 2018 | 9:59 am
COLOMBO (News 1st) –
1 The Sri Lankan ambassador to Austria, Priyanee Wijesekara and five embassy staff have been recalled by the President for failure to answer his phone calls.
2. Four fatalities and two injuries were reported when the Yal Devi train collided into a car in Vavuniya yesterday (September 16).
3. The bodies of two individuals that were found in Ragala yesterday (September 16) have been identified.
4. The daily demand for electricity has increased up to 45 Gigawatt-hours due to prevailing dry weather conditions. The Ministry of Renewable Energy states that even amidst such conditions that an uninterrupted power supply will be provided.
5. The government is to purchase a new software to eavesdrop on conversations between suspected drug dealers. The software originates from Australia.
6. Train fares will be increased by 15% with effect from the 01st of October 2018. The Railways Department stated that the fare increase would be the first in a period of eight years.
7. Explosives were found in an abandoned house in Wal Inguruwaththa, Mawathagama. Five anti-craft bullets, two hand grenades, seven T-56 bullets, and one SLR bullet had been among the seized items.
8. The Ministry of Home Affairs states all birth certificates, marriage certificates and death certificates of the Sri Lankan citizens could be obtained from the Colombo District Registrar’s office with effect from today (September 17).
9. Due to the work to rule trade union action adopted by the wildlife officials, the All Island Wildlife Officers Association states that many duties including warding off elephants have been disrupted.
10. The potato farmers of Uvaparanagama, Welimada face huge difficulties due to the unsatisfactory prices provided for their harvest. A price of a kilogram of potatoes stands at Rs.65 at present.
1. India’s space agency, ISRO launched a Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) mounted with two British satellites, which were blasted into the orbit, from the southern island of Sriharikota on Sunday (September 16).
1. British sailor Elliot Hanson and Marit Bouwmeester of the Netherlands bagged Gold medals in the final day of the World Cup series sailing event held on Sunday (September 16) in Enoshima, Japan.
28 Nov, 2019 | 11:24 AM
31 Mar, 2019 | 10:06 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]