Written by Nathasha De Alwis
17 Aug, 2018 | 6:59 am
COLOMBO (News 1st)
1. Reports have emerged that 21 Sri Lankan migrant workers have died while working in Qatar during the year 2017. Around 117,000 Sri Lankan Migrant workers are currently employed in Qatar.
2. The Department of Examinations has filed a complaint against a private website for allegedly publishing a false 2018 G.C.E Advanced Level(A/L) Examinations Timetable.
3. The Junior Staff of the Embilipitiya Hospital launched a one-day strike yesterday (August 16) against the shortage of staff at the hospital.
4. The Ministry of Power and Renewable Energy says over 17,000 homes in the Nuwara Eliya district are experiencing a power failure due to trees falling on electricity cables owing to strong winds.
5. If the allowance for the CMC members is increased the monthly allocation made by the CMC to pay allowances would increase from Rs. 2.38mn to over Rs. 5.35mn.
6. 25 boats docked in close proximity to the Manampitiya Bridge in Polonnaruwa have been destroyed in a suspected act of arson.
7. The Department of Railways has taken steps to halt train services from Medawachchiya to Talaimannar for a period of three months due to necessary maintenance services.
8. The Government is planning on introducing a pricing formula for LP gas.
9. The All Ceylon Private Bus Employees’ Association announced a single day all island strike action yesterday (August 16) against the new traffic fines.
10. Forest fire in the Paluwewa reserve in Madagiriya destroys 15 acres. The fire has been doused through the intervention of the police and the army.
1. Aretha Franklin, the preacher’s daughter whose powerful voice made her the long-reigning “Queen of Soul” dies at the age of 76.
1. Sri Lanka will host its first ever Asian Volleyball Conferdation Men’s Challenge Cup at the Sugathadasa Stadium in September.
14 Oct, 2019 | 05:46 PM
03 Oct, 2019 | 02:47 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]