Two killed in Washington state school shooting

Two killed in Washington state school shooting

Two killed in Washington state school shooting

Written by Staff Writer

25 Oct, 2014 | 6:51 am

A high school student opened fire in the cafeteria of a high school north of Seattle on Friday, killing one person and critically injuring four others, according to law enforcement officials.

The gunman also died in the episode, according to Robb Lamoureux, a local police commander. He said that police believe the student acted alone, but that officers were checking the school just in case.

“We are confirming two deceased at this time,” Lamoureux said. “One is the shooter, and the second, we are not confirming whether that is a student or staff quite yet.”

“I do not have a motive at this point,” Lamoureux said. “The shooting did originate in the cafeteria, as we understand it.”

Lamoureux did not identify the gunman.

The shooting at Marysville Pilchuck High School forced hundreds of students to hide in classrooms and then be evacuated to a nearby church, where distraught parents, some of whom received text messages from their frightened children, rushed after the shooting. Inevitably, the shooting drew comparisons to a rash of other recent school shootings, including one in June at Seattle Pacific University.

Three students with head wounds were in very critical condition at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, a hospital official said, while a fourth, less severely injured student was transferred to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle.

As students were being evacuated from Marysville Pilchuck High School, officers were sweeping the building to ensure there was no longer an active threat. The evacuated students were directed to the nearby Shoultes Gospel Hall to be reunited with their families.

Lamoureux said police were notified of the shooting at 10:40 a.m. by a call to 911.


Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]