JLo pulls out of World Cup opening ceremony performance

JLo pulls out of World Cup opening ceremony performance

Written by News 1st

09 Jun, 2014 | 12:30 pm

Singer Jennifer Lopez aka JLo, who was supposed to perform the official song of this year’s World Cup at the opening ceremony this week has pulled out.

“Regretfully Jennifer Lopez will not be attending this year’s World Cup opening ceremonies,” her rep told foreign media in a statement late Sunday night.

Lopez teamed up with rapper Pitbull and Brazilian star Claudia Leitte to record Brazil 2014’s official song, “We Are One (Ola Ola).”

The trio was slated to perform at the tournament’s opening ceremony ahead of the host’s first match with Croatia on Sao Paulo on Thursday.

The World Cup song has been a tradition since the 1966 World Cup in England, when a song dedicated to tournament mascot, a lion named “World Cup Willie” was released.

Four years ago, it was Shakira telling the world to “Waka Waka” ahead of South Africa 2010.

Soon after the song was released, Pit Bull, who has previously worked with the likes of Christina Aguilera and Enrique Iglesias, spoke of his joy at being involved in the project.

“I’m honored to join Jennifer Lopez and Claudia Leitte at the FIFA World Cup to bring the world together,” said Pitbull. “I truly believe that this great game and the power of music will help unify us, because we are best when we are one.”

CNN

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]