.webp)

COLOMBO (News 1st); The writ petition filed seeking an order to prevent the enforcement of a directive to demolish an allegedly unauthorized construction in Trincomalee, said to have violated the Coast Conservation Act, was today fixed for further hearing on April 28.
The case was taken up before the Appeal Court bench comprising Justices Dhammika Ganepola and Adithya Patabendige.
The petition had been filed by Ven. Kalyananansa Thissa Thero, the Chief Incumbent of the temple in question.
Appearing on behalf of the petitioner, President’s Counsel Susanta Balapatabendi informed the court that the Chief Incumbent had already agreed to modify the contested section of the structure in accordance with the approved plan of the temple premises.
He noted that, based on this agreement, the Coast Conservation Department had previously expressed willingness to withdraw the demolition order issued against the construction.
However, he told court that the process had been delayed because the petitioner had recently been remanded in connection with another case, preventing timely completion of the required adjustments.
President’s Counsel Balapatabendi therefore requested additional time for the petitioner to fulfill the steps previously agreed upon before court.
Deputy Solicitor General Manohara Jayasinghe, appearing for the respondents, raised no objection to the request.
President's Counsel Balapatabendi further noted that certain officials had visited the temple and indicated that specific alterations must be carried out at the premises.
In response, the court observed that any modifications to the construction should strictly comply with the approved layout of the temple.
Accordingly, the bench granted time to the petitioner until April 28 to complete the necessary steps, and directed that the progress of these activities be reported to court on that date.
