Written by Staff Writer
09 Dec, 2019 | 9:00 am
Colombo (News 1st) – The Met. Department this morning issued a Code RED Weather Advisory for heavy rain.
The warning notes the current showery conditions being experienced over most parts of the island will enhance due to the effects of a low-level atmospheric disturbance in the southeast of Sri Lanka.
Very heavy showers around 200 mm are likely at some places in Ampara, Batticaloa, Trincomalee Monaragala, Polonnaruwa, Badulla, Nuwara-Eliya and Kandy districts.
Heavy showers of about 100-150 mm are likely in the Anuradhapura, Mullaitivu, Kilinochchi, Vavuniya and Matale districts.
Fairly heavy showers of about 75-100 mm are likely in Galle, Kaluthara, Rathnapura, Kegalle
and Hambanthota districts.
Fairly strong gusty winds up to 40-50 kmph can be expected in North-Western, Northern and North-Central provinces as well as in the Hambanthota district.
– Heavy rains may trigger landslides in hilly areas.
– Inundation in low lying areas
– Uprooting of large avenue trees.
– People living in hilly areas (particularly landslide-prone areas) are requested to be vigilant.
– Drivers and people using roads in the hilly areas are requested to be vigilant.
– Take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity.
– Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
– Be alert on the advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology.
– For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management authorities.
22 Jan, 2020 | 03:56 PM
22 Jan, 2020 | 01:22 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]