Chaotic celebrations after SC verdict on dissolution of Parliament

Chaotic celebrations after SC verdict on dissolution of Parliament

Written by Staff Writer

14 Dec, 2018 | 9:18 pm

COLOMBO (News 1st) – Following the Supreme Court verdict issued yesterday (December 13) there were several incidents reported from various parts of the country.


The Police said that a complaint was received regarding a group who had attacked the residence of the chairman of the Attanagalla Pradeshiya Sabha Priyantha Pushpakumara of the SLPP at around 8.50 pm last night (December 13). The police confirmed that the house was located in Kalagedihena, Sapugaskanda. The wife and the two children of the Chairman had been in the house at the time of the incident. The CCTV fixed at the house captured the moment the group arrived at the location.

The Veyangoda police confirmed that further investigations have commenced into the incident.

Following the incident, Chairman of the Attanagalla PS said that he identified the vehicles belonging to UNP organizer of Attanagalla Chanrdasoma Swarnalal through the CCTV footage. When News 1st made an inquiry regarding these allegations from the Western Provincial Councillor Chandrasoma Swarnalal, he replied that although he had travelled past the said location that he strongly denies such allegations on carrying out such an attack.


Meanwhile, UNP Pradeshiya Sabha member of Tangalle K Saman Kumara has been arrested on suspicion of assaulting a Police Sergeant and several other individuals. The assault had taken place following an escalated argument on lighting up firecrackers. The Police further noted that the injured police Sergeant is currently receiving treatment at the Veeraketiya Hospital.

The injured individual had previously worked as a security officer at the Carlton House.

Lake House 

Another tense situation was reported near the Lake House when a UNP councillor of the Kotte Municipal Council attempted to enter Lake House along with a group of people.

A UNP member of the Dehiowita Pradeshiya Sabha Sujith Chandana who previously contested for elections as an independent candidate and is now supporting the United National Party was caught on tape assaulting a group.

In his defence, he later told the media that he had come looking for an ATM machine after court proceedings and that he had seen one of his fellow Kotte Municipal Councillors being assaulted opposite the Lake House and that a person using a crutch had given it to him and asked him to hit.

Meanwhile, the employees of the Lake House convened a media briefing to explain the incident that transpired yesterday. Chairman of the Lake House Progressive Employee Union, Chandana Jayasinghe said that this was an organized attack as members of the UNP had said they would enter lake house before. The Chairman also requested the IGP to look into this attack.

Several comments were also made by various MPs on the incident at Lake House.

UPFA MP Dullas Alahapperuma said that the manner in which a group of UNP MPs had invaded Lakehouse yesterday (December 13) had displayed the true picture of the UNP. He added that only once before in the history has elections been postponed in this manner and that the UNP has to be completely blamed for the present situation.

In response to this UNP MP Nalin Bandara Jayamaha said that they certainly do not approve of the incident that occurred yesterday and that they will look into the matter. He continued to say that on the 26th of October, several other media institutions, especially the Rupavahini corporation and ITN had faced even bigger issues.  Jayamaha added that legal action will be taken against the manner in which Roger Seneviratne a provincial councillor and an artist behaved on that day and that the matter that had transpired yesterday will also be looked into.

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]