Written by Reuters
19 Jul, 2018 | 5:45 pm
Reuters – Thirteen basketball players and both Australian and Filipino coaches have been suspended for their role in a mass brawl during an Asia World Cup qualifier in Manila earlier this month, the sport’s governing body announced on Thursday (July 19).
The International Basketball Federation (FIBA) also said it would fine the national Philippines basketball organization 250,000 Swiss francs ($250,000) and the Australians 100,000 Swiss francs for unsportsmanlike behaviour.
Nine Filipino and four Australian players were ejected from the World Cup 2019 Asian Qualifiers on July 2 after officials spent more than 30 minutes separating the players, who had repeatedly punched and kicked each other. The match was called off at the end of the third quarter with Australia leading 89-53 after the hosts were left with only one player due to fouls.
Of the Australians, Daniel Kickert was suspended for five games, Thon Maker three games, and Chris Goulding one game. No sanction was imposed on Nathan Sobey or Jason Cadee. The Boomers were also sanctioned for tampering with equipment, after having removed floor stickers from the court on the eve of the game, FIBA said.
24 May, 2019 | 10:15 PM
22 May, 2019 | 07:32 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]