Police make headway in investigation on Sabaragamuwa student attack

Police make headway in investigation on Sabaragamuwa student attack

Police make headway in investigation on Sabaragamuwa student attack

Written by News 1st

12 Oct, 2014 | 9:55 pm

The suspects in the attack on a group of students at the Sabaragamuwa University who were engaged in a Satyagraha, are yet to be apprehended.

Police say that four suspects have been identified. Among the suspects is a member of the  UPFA Pradeshiya Sabha.

Students of the Sabaragamuwa University commenced the Satyagraha campaign atop a stage constructed at the Pambahinna junction, citing several demands. On Friday night, a group of persons had allegedly attacked the students and set fire to the stage.

Two of the six students who were injured in the attack are being treated at the Balangoda Base Hospital.

The Samanalawewa Police have seized two motorcycles believed to have belonged to the suspects. Police were deployed to identify the owners of the motorcycles, in the Kinvikune area in Pambahinna. However, they noted that the suspects had abandoned their homes and fled.

Speaking on the incident, Police Media Spokesperson SSP Ajith Rohana stated:

“We are conducting further investigation into the incident and have deployed two investigation teams. We have obtained statements from 21 witnesses. Two suspects have been identified. One individual is a member of the Imbulpe Pradeshiya Sabha and the other suspect is an employee of the university. We have so far identified four suspects in connection to the incident.  Evidence has revealed that a further 15 suspects had arrived at the scene. The two investigative teams are working towards identifying the rest of the suspects.

The National Organiser of the Socialist Students’ Union, Nalinda Jayatissa also spoke in this regard,

“S.B. Dissanayake went there and said in public that they would be given the ‘proper treatment’ if there was no election. One of the persons involved in the act of thuggery was Indika Jayamanna, a member of the Imbulpe Pradeshiya Sabha. He took the lead, gave them alcohol, armed them with swords and clubs and brought them to attack the students. There are video tapes of this. The students have given the police the numbers of the motorcycles. Area residents had identified some of the thugs who had come there. Close to 48 hours have passed since the attack and no one has been arrested.”

The tutorial staff at the Sabaragamuwa University too have categorically condemned the attack.

Dean of the Faculty of Applied Sciences, Prof. Udaya Rathnayaka said;

“As the university administration we condemn this attack and we do not approve of these incidents. We are especially requesting the students to vacate their hostels as the university has been closed down. Support us to reopen the university as soon as possible.”

The Satyagraha commenced at the Pambahinna junction continued into its 41st day on Sunday. The students have constructed a new stage to replace the one which was set on fire.

Convenor of the Students’ Collective, Rasindu Jayasinghe said:

“A comrade who came to help us out is currently receiving treatment at the Balangoda Hospital while two other students of the university who were severely injured in the attack are also receiving in house treatment. Another comrade who sustained injuries to his ears , underwent a surgery and is recovering in hospital. The injured students remain in hospital while the culprits remain at large.”

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]