Demonstration held against alleged attack on Negombo UC employees

Demonstration held against alleged attack on Negombo UC employees

Written by Bella Dalima

23 Sep, 2014 | 9:13 pm

A demonstration was staged opposite the Negombo Urban Council on Tuesday in protest against the assault of two employees of the Negombo Urban Council when they went for a Dengue inspection to a house in Daluhena, Negombo.

The demonstration which was staged on Tuesday morning was attended by several health workers and workers from other sectors of the Negombo Urban Council as well as one of the alleged victims of the assault.

According to the police, the  alleged attacker was arrested and produced before court. He was released on bail. The case is to be taken up in court again on October 27.

The attacker who arrived at the Negombo Urban Council on Tuesday morning and met with the Mayor said that the issue had been settled. Upon leaving the office of the Mayor, those engaged in the demonstration outside chanted slogans against the attacker.

Thereafter the police took away the individual.

A group including the Mayor of Negombo thereafter visited the Negombo General Hospital to look into the well-being of the two injured employees.

Mayor of Negombo Anton Jayaweera said that the individual who allegedly attacked the two employees was attacked by the angry mob after the issue was settled.

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]