Written by Staff Writer
13 Nov, 2013 | 2:41 pm
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs announced that Super Typhoon Haiyan, which hit central Philippines on November 8, has affected 11.3 million people and around 800,000 have been displaced.
However, an official said that as many affected areas remain inaccessible the actual losses might be more serious than expected.
The World Meteorological Organisation said Typhoon Haiyan is the strongest tropical cyclone so far this year and one of the most intense on record.
The UN has not yet released the exact number of victims but according to an initial estimation from the United Nations Office for Disaster Risk Reduction the typhoon may have caused 12 to 15 billion US dollars worth of loss, which accounts for five percent of the Philippines’ annual GDP.
While current rescue efforts focus on food, health, sanitation, shelter and water, residents in Tacloban city dug out water pipes from underground and smashed them in a desperate bid to get water.
People queued up near a water source in downtown Tacloban which had been flattened by Super Typhoon Haiyan.
The United Nations Children’s Fund said on Tuesday that they will need 34 million US dollars to help Philippine children, which accounts for 40 percent of the Philippines’ total population.
An Australian emergency medical team from the National Critical Care Trauma Response Centre based in Darwin prepared to leave for the Philippines today.
The team are taking 45 tonnes of equipment including a mobile hospital aboard the C-17 Globemaster to Cebu and will then move the equipment to a C-130 Hercules that will be able to land at Tacloban.
President Benigno Aquino said that the death toll from Typhoon Haiyan’s rampage through the Philippines is closer to 2,000 or 2,500 than the 10,000 previously estimated.
17 Aug, 2019 | 09:57 PM
17 Aug, 2019 | 09:32 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]