Written by Teena Marian
10 Jul, 2022 | 11:28 am
COLOMBO (News 1st); Sri Lankan Speaker Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena on Saturday (9) evening announced that President Gotabaya Rajapaksa has informed him that he would step down on 13th July 2022.
The Speaker said to maintain a peaceful transition, it is paramount for the entire country to remain peaceful.
Further, all public servants and the general public are requested to remain calm for the smooth operations of their day-to-day activities.
In a letter addressed to President Gotabaya Rajapaksa, Speaker of Parliament Mahinda Yapa Abeywardena set out the matters that were agreed upon at the All Party Meeting that was held at the Speaker’s Official Residence.
– The President and the Prime Minister should resign with immediate effect.
– A decision to be taken to appoint an Interim President by Parliament within the coming week.
– Once the Interim President has been appointed, a Prime Minister to be appointed that would represent all Polital Parties.
– Call for Parliamentary Elections within a specified period of time
– It was also noted that Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe had proposed three alternatives which comprised of him being appointed as the Interim President upon the resignation of Gotabaya Rajapaksa.
– Thereafter, to appoint an All Party Government under the leadership of a new Prime Minister.
– Thereafter, the President and the Prime Minister will resign and an Acting President to be appointed within Parliament and a Prime Minister to be appointed from within the Parliament as well with the agreement of All Parties.
01 Aug, 2022 | 01:41 PM
26 Jul, 2022 | 11:01 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]