Written by Staff Writer
18 Jan, 2020 | 9:43 pm
COLOMBO (News 1st):- The Government has decided to establish a committee to provide compensation to students at state universities who have been victimized by ragging.
Minister of Higher Education, Bandula Gunawardana speaking about the matter said:
“As per the powers vested upon me as the Minister of Higher Education, I have informed the University Grants Commission to form a special committee by next week to serve justice to victims of ragging at universities and to conduct a thorough and transparent investigation into the reasons of why they left university education, and to submit a report before me in 90 days. If this report proves that these students were mentally or physically affected due to ragging, no matter what the present law permits we will pass the necessary laws and make sure these students are re-enrolled at the respective universities.”
This Committee comprises of:
– Former Supreme Court Judge, Dr Saleem Marshuk,
– Former University Vice-Chancellor Prof. Narada Warnasuriya,
– Prof. Magammana Pangnananda Thero from the University of Sri Jayawardenapura,
– Rev. Dr Benette Shantha Fernando,
– Former University Vice-Chancellor Dr Chandra Embuldeniya
– President’s Counsel Attorney-at-Law Prasantha Lal De Alwis.
10 Jul, 2020 | 08:47 AM
12 Jun, 2020 | 08:35 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]