60,000 complaints against CMC parking meters

60,000 complaints against CMC parking meters

60,000 complaints against CMC parking meters

Written by Staff Writer

16 Oct, 2019 | 4:46 pm

Colombo (News 1st): In 2015, the Colombo Municipal Council along with a privately established company introduced a smart tech parking meter system along the entire Galle Road, R.A. de Mel Mawatha and all by-roads connecting to these roads.

However, according to a revelation made by CMC councillor Sumith Passaperuma there are around 60,000 complaints filed regarding unfair charges as fines made by these installed parking meters.

The councillor noted that the rates levied by these parking meters are too expensive and are not bearable by the general public. He added that one of the major issues is the unfair fines that are imposed. He noted that if an owner of the vehicle fails to pay the meter at the moment it was parked, they will be charged double by every hour the vehicle is parked.

Passaperuma noted that from the fines collected only 60% is being given to the CMC, while the remaining 40% goes to the private company.

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]