Written by Reuters
01 Jan, 2019 | 3:23 pm
Reuters- British counter-terrorism police are investigating stabbings at Manchester Victoria train station that left three people injured, including a police officer, on New Year’s Eve (December 31), the Greater Manchester Police said.
Police were, however, keeping an open mind as there was no intelligence suggesting a wider threat, the Greater Manchester Police said in a statement posted on Twitter. They said a man is in custody and those injured were in a “serious” but not life-threatening condition.
The stabbings occurred at about 8:50 p.m and police said the man in custody is being held for “questioning on suspicion of attempted murder.”
A BBC producer who was a witness at the station described the attacker as wielding a large kitchen knife and who linked his actions to “bombings in other countries”.
“I heard the man say, As long as you keep bombing these countries this is going to keep happening,” the producer, Sam Clack, told BBC radio.
Britain is currently on its second-highest threat level of severe, meaning an attack is considered highly likely and security officials say they are facing record levels of work in countering Islamist militants as well as far-right extremists after four major attacks last year.
Manchester itself was the scene of a suicide bomb attack in May 2017 that killed 22 people as they left an Ariana Grande concert.
22 Jul, 2022 | 09:06 AM
24 Jun, 2022 | 08:09 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]