Written by Lethonkie Fernando
22 Aug, 2018 | 8:09 am
1. The Gazette to bar those below 35 years from obtaining three wheeler license has been rescinded by the cabinet.
2. Three police officers arrested yesterday morning (August 21) in connection to an alleged robbery in Kaluthara have been released. The Police stated that the arrest was a mistake.
3. 14 tonnes of illegally imported Tobacco to the country from Tuticorin, India has been seized by customs officials. The seized tobacco is valued at over Rs.10 million.
4. Tear gas and water cannons were fired at university students engaged in a protest last afternoon (August 21). It was launched by the Inter University Students Federation opposing the suspension of students studying in the South Eastern University.
5. A decision has been taken to carry out forthcoming powerplants as partnerships between the CEB and the private sector. Government funding will not be provided for the construction of large-scale power plants in future.
6. Minister Sarath Amungama arrived at the Criminal Investigations Department attached to the PCOI yesterday (August 21) to provide a statement. The Minister had been queried on the incident where a flight from Kuala Lumpur to Singapore had been diverted back in the year 2014.
7. Japanese Defense Minister, Itsunori Onodera who arrived in Sri Lanka for a two-day official visit, met President Maithripala Sirisena yesterday (August 21). Attention had been drawn to strengthen maritime security cooperation between the two countries.
8. The first among three special high courts to be established to hear financial fraud and corruption cases was declared open yesterday (August 21) by Minister Thalatha Athukorale.
9. All-Island Common Fisheries Federation has made requests from the government to carry out investigations into the sudden deaths of the aquatic life in the seas close to Mannar.
10. Chandra Rajapaksa, younger brother of the former President, Mahinda Rajapaksa, passed away yesterday (August 21) at the age of 70.
1. Targetting the Presidential Palace and the diplomatic zone of Kabul, Afghanistan a dozen missiles had been fired yesterday. No injuries were reported in the attack.
2. The U.S. Geological Survey said a major earthquake of magnitude 7.3 struck the northern coast of Venezuela on Tuesday (August 21).
1. Sri Lankan athletes thus far have failed to claim any medals as Asian Games 2018 held in Indonesia enters its fourth day (August 22).
20 Jul, 2019 | 10:49 PM
20 Jul, 2019 | 09:19 PM
20 Jul, 2019 | 07:04 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]