British rugby players died due to drug overdose

British rugby players died due to drug overdose

Written by Nathasha De Alwis

17 May, 2018 | 12:25 am

COLOMBO (News 1st) – A British amateur rugby club who were on tour in Sri Lanka for several friendly encounters left the Island today (May 16), days after two of their teammates passed away.

It has now come to light Bett Thomas Reid who passed away yesterday (May 15) died due to an overdose of a narcotic substance.

The British rugby club visiting Sri Lanka arrived in the country last week and took part in a friendly rugby encounter on the 12th in Colombo and thereafter visited a nightclub in Kollupitiya that night. CCTV footage obtained by News1st shows the team members entering the club at around 12:03 together with an individual believed to be a three-wheeler driver. They deceased victims were seen leaving the premises at around 1:23am. However, Police records state they only returned to the Hotel at 04 in the morning.

The two players were later rushed to the hospital at around 10 in the morning on Sunday as they suffered from breathing difficulties. 26-year-old Howard Thomas Andrew passed away at around 12 noon. The Judicial Post-Mortem Examination reveals that the cause of death was an overdose of a narcotic substance. 27-year-old Bett Thomas Reid passed away last afternoon of similar causes.


Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]