Written by Nathasha De Alwis
10 Apr, 2018 | 8:21 pm
Russian authorities are reportedly prosecuting doctors of the Ulyanovsk hospital, in western Russia for embalming a woman who was recovering after an operation.
According to foreign media, Ekaterina Fedyaeva (28), underwent surgery on March 15 to have ovarian cysts removed. During the operation, medical personnel had given Fedyaeva what should have been saline but turned out to be formalin, which contains formaldehyde. Formaldehyde is highly toxic if ingested, and just one ounce can kill an adult.
Hospital staff realized the mistake two minutes later and tried to wash out the formalin by giving her 10 liters of saline, but the attempt proved to be futile as the embalming fluid was already making its way through her body.
A senior doctor at the Ulyanovsk hospital, Vladimir Demin, has been sacked, Russian media say.
Ekaterina Fedyaeva died in intensive care after being moved to a Moscow hospital. She died on the 5th of April, despite having come out of a coma.
22 May, 2019 | 05:58 PM
06 May, 2019 | 08:43 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]