Written by Staff Writer
30 Jan, 2017 | 1:52 pm
Six people are reported to have been killed in a shooting at a mosque in Quebec City, Canada.
Shots were fired at the Quebec Islamic Cultural Centre on Sunday night, where dozens had gathered for evening prayers.
Police say that two people have been arrested but the investigation is ongoing.
Police have not suggested a motive although Philippe Couillard, the premier of Quebec, described it as a “terrorist act”.
The centre’s president told reporters that five people had been killed but police have not yet provided any numbers for the dead and injured.
A witness told a news agency that up to three gunmen had been involved. The news agency also reported that a “heavily armed tactical squad” had been seen entering the mosque.
But police later said the area was secure and the situation was “under control”.
Local newspaper Le Soleil said it had obtained information that one of the suspects was a 27-year-old with “a Quebec name”, and one had an AK-47 automatic weapon in his possession. Police, however, have not released such details.
19 Apr, 2019 | 07:58 PM
22 Mar, 2019 | 12:56 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]