Bharatha Lakshman Killing: What happened to suspect Priyantha Galagoda?

Bharatha Lakshman Killing: What happened to suspect Priyantha Galagoda?

Bharatha Lakshman Killing: What happened to suspect Priyantha Galagoda?

Written by Staff Writer

11 Oct, 2016 | 10:23 pm

The tenth suspect who was handed down the death penalty over the murder of Bharatha Lakshman Premachandra, is still in the wind.


Priyantha Janaka Bandara Disanayake Galagoda

What happened to Priyantha Janaka Bandara Dissanayake Galagoda?

The death penalty was handed down on the September  8,  by the Colombo High Courts to former MP Duminda Silva, Anura Thushara De Mel, Chaminda Ravi Jayanath alias Dematagoda Chaminda, Sarath Bandara and Priyantha Janaka Bandara Disanayake Galagoda.

However, the disappearance of Priyantha Galagoda was revealed only during the hearing. Priyantha Galagoda served in the commando regiment in the Sri lanka Army. He is said to have had close ties with Duminda Silva.

According to the wife of Priyantha Galagoda, he was abducted by a group of armed persons on November  17, 2011.

More details over this incident is recorded on the B Report which was submitted by the Nawagamuwa Police to the Kaduwela Magistrate’s Court.

According to the statements recorded from his wife, it reads that he was abducted while engaging in work at a quarry in the Lokupitiya area which falls under the purview of the Nawagamuwa Police Division.

Her evidence further reads that he was abducted by a group of armed men who had arrived in a blue tipper truck and a white van.

Irantha Jayasoriya, who was also employed at the quarry, confirmed the statement saying that Priyantha was abducted by a group of around ten armed persons between 10:30 and 11 that morning

The B report which was produced to courts by the police also indicates the number plates of both the Tipper truck and van.

The mother of Priyantha says that she is unaware if he worked for Duminda Silva but said that he did politics with Duminda Silva. However, when she visited the former MP, he had denied working with Priyantha Galagoda.

“My son helped him in every way and supported him during his meetings”,  she added

On December 30,  2011 the relatives of Priyantha Janaka brought this to the attention of the Inspector General of Police, and an ASP was designated to look into the matter.

Police had informed in writing that details of this incident had been reported to the Kaduwela Magistrate’s Court, adding that court had ordered to lay by the case until investigations conclude.

Relatives had also lodged a complaint with the Human Rights Commission over the incident.

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]