Significant number of small scale industries in the country – Census Dept reveals

Significant number of small scale industries in the country – Census Dept reveals

Significant number of small scale industries in the country – Census Dept reveals

Written by Bella Dalima

07 Nov, 2014 | 8:49 pm

The Department of Census and Statistics revealed that 93 percent of the country’s industries operate as small scale industries with less than five employees. The Department further noted that the only seven percent of industries function with more than five employees.

A media briefing was held in Colombo on Friday on the outcome of the results of the first phase of the 2013/2014 Economic Census and the future course of action. It was revealed at this media briefing that economically active industries, had been categorised as trade and services.

One million fourteen thousand four hundred and sixteen industries have been listed as economically active. According to the census 75.4% of the industries that are economically active are in operation in rural areas while the other 24.6% operate in an urban environment.

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]