Karachi airport attack: Employees trapped inside cold storage facility

Karachi airport attack: Employees trapped inside cold storage facility

Karachi airport attack: Employees trapped inside cold storage facility

Written by News 1st

10 Jun, 2014 | 7:51 am

Rescuers are trying to reach cargo workers who remain trapped inside a cold storage facility at Karachi’s international airport a day after a deadly militant attack there.

Authorities are working to rescue seven employees from a private cargo company, said Sindh province Gov. Ishrat Ul Ebad Khan.

Pakistan’s Civil Aviation Authority said at least five cargo workers were missing. An airport spokesman said two cargo worker’s bodies had been found in a cold storage compartment.

Families of the missing workers had reportedly blocked a busy road leading to the airport, demanding that authorities help find their relatives.

“We will work to investigate any negligence in rescue efforts by the authorities and those found guilty of negligence will be punished accordingly,” Khan said.

The rescue operation unfolded nearly a day after terrorists entered Jinnah International Airport at two spots with a plan to destroy a group of parked airplanes and “bring down our aviation industry,” according to the Pakistani government.

It was late Sunday night, and the militants were armed with guns, grenades and suicide vests. They went into the cargo area, about a kilometer (0.62 miles) from where commercial planes take off.

In a “heroic” effort, security forces “laid down their lives” to block the terminal and stop the attackers, surrounding them and killing all of them, the prime minister’s office said.

There were 10 terrorists, military spokesman Maj. Gen. Asim Bajwa said, and two of them detonated suicide vests.

By the time the attack was over, officials said 29 people were dead, including 10 militants. Another 24 people were injured, the military said.

The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the assault on the country’s largest and busiest airport.

Speaking from an undisclosed location, Pakistani Taliban commander Abdullah Bahar said the attack was retaliation for the death of former chief Hakimullah Mehsud, who was killed in a U.S. drone strike in November in North Waziristan.

Bahar warned more attacks will follow.

“As long as we are breathing, our attacks will be continuing ’til the end of our lives,” he vowed.


Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]