Written by Zulfick Farzan
06 Oct, 2021 | 2:58 pm
COLOMBO (News 1st); Sri Lanka’s Environment Secretary Dr. Anil Jasinghe, was appointed as the Chairperson of the 4th Session of the Forum of Ministers and Environment Authorities of Asia Pacific (4th AP Forum) of the United Nations Environment Program.
The 4th AP Forum was organized jointly by the Ministry of Environment of the Republic of Korea and the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP).
The Forum serves as a platform for the Member States and other stakeholders to contribute regional perspectives to the resumed fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA-5.2) to be held from 28 February to 2 March 2022 as well as to the Special Session of the United Nations Environment Assembly to mark the 50th anniversary of UNEP on 3-4 March 2022 in Nairobi, Kenya.
The Forum will focus on UNEA-5’s theme: Strengthening Actions for Nature to achieve the Sustainable Development Goals. At the Forum, Member States will:
– Review progress on implementation of UNEA resolutions in Asia and the Pacific.
– Review progress of regional forums and platforms where UNEP is the secretariat, including Asia Pacific Clean Asia Partnership, Asia Pacific Adaptation Network, and Acid Deposition Monitoring Network in East Asia.
– Identify priorities and engagement with Major Groups and Stakeholders in Asia-Pacific.
– Identify priorities and emerging issues from the region to be reflected in preparations for the UNEA-5.2.
– Provide regional inputs to the UNEA-5.2 theme and its draft outcome documents.
– Regional Inputs to the Special Session of United Nations Environment Assembly to mark the 50th anniversary of UNEP.
– Discuss challenges and opportunities to strengthen the regional environmental agenda for delivering the sustainable development goals and regional commitments to international agreements; and
– The Forum is also an occasion for UNEP partners, UN agencies, private sector representatives, scientists, academia, and civil society to bring their perspectives and ideas to achieve the environmental dimension of the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda.
15 Oct, 2021 | 11:35 PM
15 Oct, 2021 | 09:09 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]