Debris from blazing ship could cause allergic reactions; warns MEPA

Debris from blazing ship could cause allergic reactions; warns MEPA

Debris from blazing ship could cause allergic reactions; warns MEPA

Written by Pavani Hapuarachchi

27 May, 2021 | 6:55 pm

COLOMBO (News 1st); The Marine Environment Protection Authority (MEPA) today advised the people who collected debris washed ashore from the burning X-PRESS PEARL, to immediately seek medical treatment if any allergic reactions appear, without concealing the truth.

General Manager of the Marine Environment Protection Authority (MEPA), Dr. Turney Pradeep Kumara said the debris from X-PRESS PEARL could pose serious risks to the health, with allergic reactions including skin conditions, breathing difficulties, and other long-term health concerns as well, given that there is limited knowledge on the content of the chemicals aboard the vessel.

The relevant authorities issued numerous warnings urging the people NOT to come in contact with the debris from the vessel, as the burnt content could be toxic and hazardous to humans.

However, Dr. Turney Pradeep Kumara pointed out that regardless of the warnings, certain people had resorted to visiting the affected beaches and collecting debris, at times accompanied by children as well.

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]