Ex-Defence Secretary Fernando refutes Ex-President Sirisena’s claims

Ex-Defence Secretary Fernando refutes Ex-President Sirisena’s claims

Ex-Defence Secretary Fernando refutes Ex-President Sirisena’s claims

Written by Hassaan Shazuli

21 Sep, 2020 | 3:52 pm

Colombo (News 1st); Former Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando has refuted claims made by former president Maithripala Sirisena that he had made false accusations at the presidential commission probing the April 21st attacks.

Issuing a statement on Sunday, former President Maithripala Sirisena refuted claims made by former defence secretary Hemasiri Fernando at the presidential commission probing the April 21st attacks last week.

However, attorney-at-law Dilshan Jayasuriya appearing for Fernando told the commission that the statement released by the former president had instilled fear in his client.

He argued that refuting claims by issuing a statement while not using the opportunity to cross-question the witness during the sitting, has completely undermined the authority of the commission.

Accordingly, he requested the commission to summon the former president’s personal secretary who had published the statement and to ask him to show cause on why it could not be considered as contempt of the commission.

Attorney-at-law Charitha Gunaratne appearing for the former president said he was unaware of the media statement, and that he had not been informed about it by his client.

Accordingly, the commission ordered the counsel for the former president to make submissions during tomorrow’s sitting.

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]