Written by Pavani Hapuarachchi
15 Apr, 2020 | 11:00 am
COLOMBO (News 1st): Health authorities says to curb the spread of COVID-19 against the backdrop of more new cases being confirmed in the country the government should continue the containment efforts uninterrupted.
“In order to completely control COVID-19 in our country, people’s contribution is further necessary in the coming weeks,” said Dr. Sudath Samaraweera, Chief Epidemiologist of the Epidemiology Unit, speaking to News 1st on Wednesday (15th April).
Dr. Samaraweera emphasized that it was important for the people to continue the practice of social distancing guidelines and good hand hygiene habits, while remaining indoors; to overcome the threat of the virus.
Commenting on Sri Lanka’s COVID-19 containment efforts, Dr. Samaraweera said it is evident that Sri Lanka’s containment efforts so far, have been a success, as the newly confirmed COVID-19 cases are limited to “closely associated clusters.”
He further said this was achieved through immediate contact tracing and the isolation of the contacts of confirmed COVID-19 patients; a collective effort of both the authorities and the people, to restrict the transmission of the virus to the community.
Therefore, he urged the people to adhere by the medical instructions in order to emerge victorious in the fight against COVID-19, for the benefit of all Sri Lankans.
According to the COVID-19 Dashboard of the Health Promotion Bureau at the Ministry of Health, as of Wednesday morning (15th April), there are 233 confirmed COVID-19 cases, after 15 people tested positive for the virus on Tuesday (14th April); the second highest daily tally of COVID-19 cases in Sri Lanka.
Director General of Health Services, Dr. Anil Jasinghe has confirmed that all these 15 cases reported on Tuesday were among those currently quarantined at quarantine facilities.
20 Apr, 2021 | 01:29 PM
20 Apr, 2021 | 05:45 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]