Written by Ramesh Irugalbandara
04 Dec, 2019 | 4:12 pm
Colombo (News1st) – A number of Areas around Colombo have been inundated due to the heavy rains being experienced at present. The Department of Meteorology has issued a RED ALERT due to the inclement weather.
The alert notes that due to the low-level atmospheric disturbance in the vicinity of Sri Lanka (South of Sri tanka), prevailing showery conditions are expected to enhance over Northern, Eastern, Northcentral, uva and central provinces from tonight.
Very heavy showers above 150 mm are likely at some places in Trincomalee, Batticaloa, Ampara, Mullaitivu, Nuwara-Eliya, Badulla and Monaragala districts.
Heavy showers above 100 mm are likely at some places in North-central, Sabaragamua, southern and western provinces as well as in the in Matale, Kandy, Jaffna, Mannar, Kilinochchi and
Fairly strong gusty winds up to 55 kmph can be expected over the island particularly in the North-Western, Southern, Central, Uva and North-Central provinces
– Heavy rainfalls expected in Central hilly areas.
– Heavy rains may trigger landslides in hilly areas.
– Water inundation in low lying areas.
– Large trees could be uprooted
– people living in hilly areas (particularly landslide-prone areas) are requested to be vigilant.
– Drivers and people using roads in the hilly areas are requested to be vigilant’
– Take adequate precautions to minimize damages caused by lightning activity’
– Beware of fallen trees and power lines.
– Be alert on the advisories issued by the Department of Meteorology.
– For emergency assistance contact the local disaster management center
22 Sep, 2020 | 05:30 PM
21 Sep, 2020 | 04:37 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]