Written by Ramesh Irugalbandara
01 Dec, 2019 | 10:59 am
Colombo (News 1st) – Reports are coming in from across the country about the impacts of the extreme weather affecting the island. Here is a quick compilation of these reports.
– Over 2000 people affected
– 297 people moved to safe locations
– Electricity disrupted to over 5000 people in Diyathalawa, Haputale, Balangoda & Kurunegala
– Several areas surrounding the Kurunegala town have experienced flooding
– Level 1 landslide warning issued to the districts of Kegalle, Badulla and Ratnapura
– Earth embankment collapse in Walapane, claims the lives of 2. 2 more people unaccounted for
– Several roads in Haldumulla have been blocked due to falling rocks
– Several roads in Walapane have been blocked due to fallen trees and cut slope failures
– The spill gates of a number of tanks and reservoirs have been opened due to the extreme weather.
– Officials advise residents living in areas close to such tanks to remain vigilant about the possibility of flooding
– 08 spill gates of the Rajanganaya reservoirs were opened last night
– Water levels at Rajanganaya, Udawalawa, Upper Kotmale & many other reservoirs exceed spill level due to heavy rainfall; water level of the Attanagallu Oya on the rise: DMC
– 2 spill gates of the Kala Wewa opened by 5 feet each
– 2 spill gates of the Thabowa reservoir
– All 8 spill gates of the Deduru Oya opened by 3 feet each.
We urge all our readers to exercise caution if they are from the areas that have been mentioned in this story. Follow the instructions of your local DMC officials. Take heed of the weather warnings and evacuate if officials instruct you to do so.
29 Mar, 2020 | 08:37 AM
24 Mar, 2020 | 09:18 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]