Written by Lethonkie Fernando
15 Nov, 2019 | 6:35 am
COLOMBO (News 1st):-
YOUR FRIDAY MORNING BRIEF
1. The Ministry of Education states that all schools will remain closed today (November 15) due to the Presidential elections. The decision has been taken as per a request made by the National Elections Commission.
2. The process of transporting the ballot boxes and the relevant officials to the polling centres ahead of the Presidential elections commences this morning (November 15). Nearly 300,000 state employees will take part in election duties this year.
3. The police state that a special security plan is currently ongoing in order to transport the ballot boxes and the relevant officials to the polling centres.
4. Issuing a special gazette notification, President Maithripala Sirisena has proclaimed the Shrine of Our Lady of Madhu in Mannar as a place of worship.
5. The National Building Research Organization (NBRO) states that the air quality level in and around Colombo has improved. The air quality index has currently dropped to 60 from 150.
6. The National Election Commission stated that the required facilities should also be provided for the private sector employees to place their votes at the elections. The commission states that the required leave will be decided according to the distance to the respective workplace.
7. The older brother of Australian cricketer Usman Khawaja has pleaded guilty to perverting the course of justice and dishonestly influencing a public official after police accused him of creating a fake terror plot to frame another man.
8. The Attorney General was ordered by the Permanent High Court Trial at Bar to inform the court on December 2nd of the future course of action the AG would be taking against Niraj Roshan alias Ali Roshan and 07 other defendants.
9. Lasantha Wijeratna, a freelance journalist residing in Habaraduwa, Galle was attacked by an armed group yesterday (November 14). He has been admitted to the ICU of the Karapitiya Hospital.
10. The South Asian Partnership Summit and Business Excellence Awards 2019 has recognized the Gammadda initiative as the winner of the Best use of CSR practices in Rural Poverty, Economic Development, and Environmental Sustainability Award.
08 Nov, 2019 | 06:48 AM
18 Oct, 2019 | 06:41 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]