Written by Staff Writer
27 Sep, 2019 | 7:00 am
COLOMBO (News 1st)
Your Friday Morning Brief
1. The number of people affected by the inclement weather that affected over eight districts of the country has risen to 138,000. Over 4400 people have been displaced.
2. Attorney General Dappula De Livera at the Supreme Court yesterday (September 26) stated that IGP Pujith Jayasundara, who is on compulsory leave, and former Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando can never be forgiven for the massive loss of life caused in the April 21st attacks, which could have been prevented if not for the lack-lustre attitude displayed towards the repeated information produced by the intelligence services of the country.
3. The railway strike that was launched by Railway Trade Unions over several issues including the removal of salary anomalies enters its second day today. A large number of passengers were reportedly inconvenienced yesterday (September 26) due to the ongoing strike action.
4. “We will shut down the entire education system tomorrow” – General Secretary of the Ceylon Teachers’ Union, Joseph Stalin stated yesterday (September 26) during a protest march by Teacher and Principal Trade Unions on the Lotus Road. Today the sick-leave campaign launched by them will continue for the second day.
5. The Ministry of Finance has taken measures to put an end to the prevailing salary anomalies of the public sector by increasing the minimum salary of state sector employees by Rs. 3,000 and the maximum salary by Rs. 24,000.
6. The National Building Research Organization (NBRO) states that the landslide warnings issued for the Kalutara, Kegalle, Galle and Matara districts will be in effect until this evening (September 27).
7. The Presidential Commission probing into allegations regarding financial irregularities in state institutions have requested President Maithripala Sirisena to extend the commission’s tenure by another month due to the ongoing investigations on several cases.
8. The National Election Commission requests all voters who have no valid identity card to go to the area Grama Niladhari officer and obtain a temporary identity card in order to ensure their identity.
9. During the UNP Working Committee meeting held at the Sirikotha headquarters yesterday (September 26), the UNP members unanimously approved Deputy Leader, Minister Sajith Premadasa as their Presidential candidate. The party’s convention is due to be held on the 3rd of October.
10. Postal voting for the Elpitiya Pradeshiya Sabha election will be held today (September 27). The number of voters deemed qualified to vote for the election has been identified as 1192.
Don’t talk, just act. Don’t say just show. Don’t promise just prove!!
15 Nov, 2019 | 06:35 AM
25 Oct, 2019 | 07:20 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]