Written by Lahiru Fernando
23 Apr, 2019 | 3:48 am
COLOMBO (News 1st): Following is a list of events that took place on April 22, the day following the Easter Sunday attack. The events are mentioned in the order of their respective occurrence.
1. 24 suspects were arrested and handed over to the CID. Another two were later arrested at a resthouse in Dambulla.
2. The death toll rose to over 290, with over 500 injured.
3. Travel Advisory issued to US citizens requesting to exercise “increased caution” in Sri Lanka
4. All coroners informed to carry out post-mortem examinations expeditiously on those who were killed in order to facilitate the release of the bodies.
5. Government Analyst confirmed that the explosions at the three churches and three hotels are suicide attacks.
6. Curfew re-imposed from 8 pm (April 22) to 4 am (April 23).
7. National Water Supply and Drainage Board and Police dismissed all rumours of pipe-borne water not being suitable for consumption in certain areas.
8. Minister of Health, Nutrition and Indigenous Medicine Dr. Rajitha Senaratne announce that there is sufficient blood available for those undergoing treatment.
9. A statement was issued by President’s Media Unit
10. 87 detonators found at the Fort bus station
11. STF and Air Force personnel discover a bomb in Kochchikade while searching a suspicious vehicle. The bomb was later defused in a controlled explosion.
12. Min. Saith Premadasa vows to rebuild St. Anthony’s Church.
13. The highest death toll and injuries reported from the St. Sebastian’s Church in Katuwapitya, Negombo.
14. Five more suspects arrested. One in Kandana, others from Gampola and Katugasthota.
15. INTERPOL announce that a team (IRT) will be deployed (at the request of SL Authorities) in Sri Lanka to assist in investigations.
The Team includes specialists with expertise in;
*If required, additional expertise in digital forensics, biometrics, as well as photo and video analysis will also be added to the team on the ground.
16. Shangri-La Hotel, Colombo closed until further notice. The hotel announced that they will continue to provide alternative accommodation for their affected guests.
17. Shangri-La bomber identified as Insan Seelawan.
18. The Indian Coast Guard placed on high alert along the maritime border to prevent any attempt by those behind the Sri Lanka blasts to enter India.
19. Multiple houses and apartments raided in Colombo. Syrian national arrested following investigations into the bombing of Kingsbury Hotel.
Police found steel ball bearings and batteries used in explosive devices after raiding a house in Panadura.
20. UPFA urge IGP to resign immediately.
18 Aug, 2019 | 01:02 PM
10 Aug, 2019 | 09:16 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]