Written by Lethonkie Fernando
19 Dec, 2018 | 9:26 am
COLOMBO (News 1st) –
1. At the parliamentary session held yesterday (December 18) Speaker Karu Jayasuriya named Mahinda Rajapaksa as the opposition leader, Mahinda Amaraweera as the Chief Opposition Whip, Lakshman Kiriella as the Leader of the House and Gayantha Karunathilake as the Chief Government Whip.
2. TNA MP Sumanthiran raised concerns pertaining to the validity of Former President Mahinda Rajapaksa’s seat in parliament and also his appointment as opposition leader at parliament yesterday (December 18).
3. The SLFP has decided not to extend their support to any alliance or government.
4. The SLFP is to take disciplinary action against MPs who crossed the floor to join the government in Parliament yesterday (December 18).
5. UNP MP Palitha Range Bandara stated that Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe in an effort to restrict cabinet to 30 as per the 19th amendment to the constitution has called upon MPs to sacrifice Ministerial portfolios.
6. At the parliamentary session held yesterday (December 18), a proposal to abolish the executive presidency was presented by the JVP. The debate is due to continue at the parliamentary session at 1.30 pm today (December 19).
7. The new cabinet of Ministers are due to be sworn in before President Maithripala Sirisena this afternoon (December 19).
8. 52 acres of land held by the military in the Mullaitivu were returned to their original owners yesterday (December 18) on the orders of the President.
9. The collection of samples from the Mannar mass grave to be sent to the US for carbon dating has begun under the supervision of the Mannar Magistrate.
10. Sri Lankan cricketer Lahiru Kumara has been fined 15% of his match fee and has also received one demerit point after being found guilty of the “use of audible obscenity during an international match” during the third day’s play in the first Test against New Zealand.
HAVE A MERITORIOUS WEDNESDAY!
09 Aug, 2019 | 06:36 AM
25 Jun, 2019 | 06:58 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]