Written by Staff Writer
18 Nov, 2018 | 9:26 pm
COLOMBO (News 1st) – Mayor of Matale Duljith Aluvihare has sent a letter addressed to Ranil Wickremesinghe, calling on him to allow Sajith Premadasa be appointed as party leader.
In his letter, Duljith Aluvihare has commended the UNP leadership from its inception with D. S. Senanayake to R. Premadasa. The letter points out that since Ranil Wickremesinghe was appointed as the party leader in 1994 the leadership had not gained a significant victory for the party or the party supporter and the letter further highlights 11 reasons as to why the party leadership had failed.
The reasons are:
1. The party leadership not interacting with the Sri Lankan culture to the required level.
2. Deterioration of democracy within the party
3. Power of the working committee resting only on a selected few.
4. Leadership not paying attention to the voice of the supporters.
5. Cabinet ministerial positions not being equally distributed among districts on the two occasions the party came to power.
6. The absence of a proper program to bring back party members who defected from the party for various reasons.
7. Not building up party mechanisms at the grassroots level.
8. Selecting individuals such as D. M. Swaminathan, Tilak Marapana, Malik Samarawickreme, Ashu Marasinghe who have no sense of the people’s sentiments or a voter base for high profile positions of the party.
9. Not moving into a program to strengthen the party’s rural voter base and Sinhala Buddhist sentiment.
10 Not educating the public about incidents such as the Central Bank Bond Scam.
11. Mismanagement of political situations that arose from time to time.
Mayor of Matale, Duljith Aluvihare concludes his letter by reiterating the importance of directing the country towards a victorious path at this juncture and called for the appointment of Sajith Premadasa as the party leader according to the demand of the majority.
18 May, 2019 | 09:01 PM
17 May, 2019 | 04:37 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]