Written by Staff Writer
28 Oct, 2018 | 10:00 pm
COLOMBO (News 1st) – Addressing the nation this evening, President Maithripala Sirisena stated that Ranil Wickremesinghe had completely destroyed the concept of “good governance.” He went onto state that throughout his tenure as Prime Minister, Ranil Wickremesinghe had taken decisions without his consent, eventually giving rise to a political crisis.
President Sirisena continued to say that there was always a large contrast in the political ideologies held by him and Ranil Wickremesinghe. The President reiterated that although he had repeatedly requested Wickremesinghe to take collective decisions through discussions that he had put aside the hopes and aspirations of so many people of the country.
Several key points stood out as highlights in his speech :
1. In the alleged assassination plot that targetted the President and the former defence secretary, the president stated that within 48 hours of Namal Kumara’s revelation of the audio tapes plotting the assassination, that the IGP had made a statement on his suspicion on the audio tapes. Inspector General of Police did not assign the investigations to CID.
2. The Central Bank robbery was an abortion of the pledge of good governance given to the people to eliminate corruption and fraud. The president explained that when he had taken measures to appoint a Presidential Commission to investigate the scam and that many high ranking officials of the UNP had started to condemn the decision.
3. The economic policy followed in the country had kept trust merely on foreign investments which eventually weakened our local industries.
4. If the Land Ordinance Special Act was passed by the Cabinet and then by the Parliament, all the lands of this motherland could be bought outright by foreigners without any difficulty.
5. The committee set up by Ranil Wickremesinghe to manage the economy was totally fraudulent.
The President stated that he had taken this decision to reimplement a new government with Mahinda Rajapaksa as Prime Minister to resolve the aforementioned issues. He added that although Ranil Wickremesinghe and the other allies stated that this was done against the constitution, that he had taken the advice of legal experts on the matter.
I completely reject the charge that what was done was a violation of the Constitution. – President
24 Sep, 2021 | 03:34 PM
23 Sep, 2021 | 02:25 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]