Written by Reuters
10 Oct, 2018 | 10:29 am
Reuters – U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday (October 9) plans were being made for his second summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and he thinks “incredible” progress has been made in U.S. talks with the long-isolated country.
“Well it is happening and we’re setting that up right now,”
Trump told reporters at the White House after announcing the resignation of U.N. Ambassador Nikki Haley.
He said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had very good talks with Kim over the weekend and that three or four locations were being considered for the two leaders’ next summit. “Timing won’t be too far away,” he said.
Trump and Kim held a historic first summit in Singapore on June 12 at which Kim pledged to work toward de-nuclearization of the Korean peninsula. However, his actions have fallen short of Washington’s demands for a complete inventory of its weapons and facilities and irreversible steps to give up its arsenal.
Still, Trump was upbeat on progress made so far.
“You got no rockets flying, you have no missiles flying, you have no nuclear testing,” Trump said in the Oval Office. “We’ve made incredible progress – beyond incredible.
“But I have agreed to meet,” he said. “We have a very good relationship with Chairman Kim. I like him, he likes me, the relationship is good.”
Pompeo said on Monday the two sides were “pretty close” to agreeing on details for a second summit.
Pompeo told reporters Kim had said he was ready to allow international inspectors into North Korea’s Punggye-ri nuclear testing site and the Sohae missile engine test facility as soon as the United States and North Korea agreed on logistics.
08 Dec, 2018 | 05:46 PM
10 Nov, 2018 | 09:31 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]