Written by Lethonkie Fernando
21 Sep, 2018 | 11:11 am
COLOMBO (News 1st) –
1. Lead economist of the World Bank, Muthukumara Mani stated that the living standard of Sri Lanka would decline by 5% when translated in terms of GDP will be a decline of 7.7%
2. The CBSL states that the sanctions imposed on Iran along with the currency depreciation in Russia and Turkey have led to the drop in demand for Sri Lankan tea.
3. The Ministry of Agriculture has decided to present a cabinet paper to obtain permission for the sale of wild boar meat by next week.
4. The recently announced price increase of sugar by Rs.15 has been amended to Rs. 11. The new price of a kilogram of sugar will be Rs. 101.
5. Bus fares were increased yesterday (September 20) by 4%. However, the minimum price of Rs. 12 remains unchanged.
6. Army Lieutenant Colonel Eranda Peiris arrested in connection to the kidnapping and forced disappearance of journalist Prageeth Ekanligoda is to be presented before the Homagama Magistrate’s Court today (September 21).
7. The Central Committee of the Sri Lanka Freedom Party has decided to appoint new electorate organizers. The new appointments will occur in the evening today (September 21).
8. The Supreme Court has ordered the Sri Lanka Medical Council (SLMC) to immediately execute the order given by the Court of Appeal to register the student who was awarded a medical degree at SAITM Private Medical College with the SLMC.
9. The Wildlife Department reports that from January 2018 to date 201 elephants have been killed due to various human-related activities.
10. The National Water Supply and Drainage Board states that various areas of Polonnaruwa will experience a 13-hour water supply disruption.
1. At least 42 people drowned when a ferry sank on Thursday (September 20) in Tanzania’s Lake Victoria and government officials feared the final death toll could be more than 200, a senior local official said.
1. Heavyweight champion Manuel Charr will not defend his WBA belt next week against American challenger Fres Oquendo after a ‘suspect’ doping test by the German-based Syrian forced the fight to be cancelled, his management said on Thursday.
09 Oct, 2019 | 08:47 AM
11 Sep, 2019 | 09:36 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]