Written by Lethonkie Fernando
18 Sep, 2018 | 10:14 am
COLOMBO (News 1st) –
1. Hitting a fresh low for the fourth straight session, the Sri Lankan Rupee fell up to 0.7% yesterday (September 17) to 164.80 per USD.
2. The Vehicle Importers Association state that import prices of vehicles would increase by a minimum of 200,000 in line with the drastic depreciation of the Sri Lankan Rupee.
3. The Supreme Court announced yesterday (September 17) that it has referred the determination of the 20th constitutional amendment to Speaker Karu Jayasuriya.
4. DIG Nalaka De Silva of the Police Terrorism Investigation Division (TID) has been transferred with immediate effect to the Police IT Division.
5. Phase 1 and Phase 3 of the Central Expressway project has been delayed. The Minister explained that although they hope to declare open Phase 2 by August 2019, the other two Phases had to be delayed due to construction difficulties.
6. Facilities have been granted to obtain all birth certificates, death certificates and marriage certificates of the Sri Lankan citizens from the Colombo District Registrar’s office with effect from yesterday (September 17).
7. Four fishermen stranded at sea 26 nautical miles off the Kirinda Fisheries Harbour were rescued by an inshore patrol craft of the Southern Naval command yesterday (September 17).
8. The Consumer Affairs Authority said that out of the 200 samples of coconut oil used for cooking, that was tested since the year 2016, almost 75% is unsuitable for usage.
9. The government has decided to increase the number of scholarships granted to the students qualified from the Grade 05 scholarship examination.
10. A civil defense officer attached to the Wildlife Department has been killed in an elephant attack. The Police stated that the unfortunate incident had occurred when the officer was attempting to ward off elephants from the area.
1. U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday (September, 17) that the United States would limit the number of refugees allowed into the country to 30,000 for the year 2019. This is a sharp drop from a limit of 45,000 it had set for 2018.
1. Afghanistan knocked Sri Lanka out of the 2018 Asian Cup yesterday (September 17), with a victory of 91 runs. Chasing a target of 250 runs, Sri Lanka had been completely bowled out for 158.
22 Jul, 2019 | 04:36 PM
19 Jul, 2019 | 05:42 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]