Written by Nathasha De Alwis
06 Mar, 2018 | 8:14 pm
COLOMBO (News 1st) – The President promulgated the Islandwide State of Emergency for a week. President took the measure enacting the powers of Section Two of the Public Security Ordinance.
Issuing a statement, the President’s Media Division cited the following reasons for declaring a State of Emergency,
1. Acts of violence and criminal offenses over the past two weeks.
2. Loss of life and property damage ensued by these incidents.
3. Unrest and disharmony between races and religions.
4. Attacks and damages caused on property, religious sites, and transportation facilities.
5. Continued criminal acts in addition to the aforementioned causes.
Further, the statement stated that these incidents turned violent in certain instances adding they were premeditated by organized groups.
The statement reads that the government decided to impose emergency regulations to restore a secure atmosphere, restore normalcy to public life, continue supplies and services and re-establish peace.
With the enactment of emergency regulations, powers to contain the situation will be delegated to the Sri Lanka Police and Tri-forces.
PMD issues a statement declaring reasons for announcing the State of Emergency#lka #News1st #PMD #StateOfEmergency #Statement
Posted by Newsfirst.lk on Tuesday, March 6, 2018
20 Oct, 2020 | 02:16 PM
20 Oct, 2020 | 10:40 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]