Written by Keshala Dias
14 Nov, 2016 | 9:10 am
Today, Monday, November 14, is Il Poya day. This is the last Poya of the ‘wassana’ rainy season. With the end of the Il Poya, the Katina pinkama also should end.
The Katina pinkama is considered one of the most highest deeds in Buddhism. During this time Buddhist monks stay inside their premises due to heavy rains. This roughly happens for three months.
A number of events took place on the Il Poya day;
– The announcement of the future Buddha-hood of Maitriya Bodhisatva.
– The first Buddhist missionary activity by the sixty Arahath.
– Jatila brothers entering the Buddhist order.
– Festival of ‘Devaharohana’ or ascend to heaven by Gautama Buddha.
– Accepting a robe from the future Buddha Maitriya, who was a disciple of the Buddha.
– Passing away of the Chief Disciple Sariputta.
– Laying of Gautama Buddha’s Dakunu Aku Datuwa tooth in the right jaw in the first Dagoba Thuparama Chaitya which was constructed by King Devanampiyatissa.
10 Jan, 2020 | 07:42 PM
29 Feb, 2020 | 11:23 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]