JVP alleges that plans are afoot to sell Colombo Harbour’s Eastern Terminal

JVP alleges that plans are afoot to sell Colombo Harbour’s Eastern Terminal

JVP alleges that plans are afoot to sell Colombo Harbour’s Eastern Terminal

Written by Staff Writer

29 Aug, 2016 | 9:03 pm

The Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna (JVP) alleges that plans are a foot to sell the Eastern Terminal of the Colombo Harbour.

JVP MP, Bimal Ratnayake stated that notices were published by the government recently that the privatisation or the sale of the Eastern Terminal and the half a kilometre long jetty of the Colombo Port are for sale.

He added that 440 metres of the jetty has been completed and it comprises of a eighteen-metre deep jetty wall and a 22 hectare area with facilities for development from the Ports Authority.

He went on to note that 95% of the work is completed but the problem is the lack of a crane and a lack of equipment to unload containers. Instead of procuring what is required, the minister has argued against it and instead proposed that the Port Authority should retain 51 percent of the share and that they sell off the remaining 49 percent.

Explaining further, he noted that the current regime plans to sell off a jetty that can be developed without any problem – without even obtaining cabinet approval first. Apparently, there will only be water remaining of the Sri Lanka Ports Authority, he commented.

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]