Written by Staff Writer
09 Feb, 2016 | 7:03 am
Clashes have broken out in the Mong Kok district of Hong Kong, during a police operation to clear illegal food stalls.
The unrest erupted as food and hygiene inspectors tried to move the vendors away from a major junction in the early hours of Tuesday morning.
Angry vendors threw bricks and other missiles at police, who responded with batons and pepper spray.
One senior official said police had fired two warning shots and that 44 people, including police, were injured.
In a statement, police said the vendors had ignored warnings to leave the area. Three men, aged 27 to 35, had been arrested for assaulting and obstructing officers, said the statement.
It was the largest unrest in Hong Kong since the massive pro-democracy street protests in 2014.
18 Jun, 2021 | 10:10 AM
12 Jun, 2021 | 01:24 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]