Written by News 1st
03 Aug, 2014 | 9:29 pm
A major effort was undertaken to douse a blaze that broke out at a shop in the Maharagama town centre on Sunday morning, and prevent it from spreading and causing more harm.
The fire-fighting effort was made all the more difficult by the fact that the Maharagama Municipal Council does not have its own fire brigade.
The cause of the fire, which erupted at a shop in the Maharagama town centre at about 10 o‘clock Sunday morning, has not been determined as yet.
A News1st U-reporter who was at the scene of the incident, recounted what he had seen:
[quote]We were seated below and we saw smoke rising from above. We shouted when we came up and saw everything was in flames. Owing to the delay in a fire engine arriving at the scene, shopowners attempted to fight the fire themselves.[/quote]
The blaze was eventually doused in a joint effort by the fire brigade of the Kotte and Dehiwala – Mount Lavinia Municipal Council.
15 Dec, 2020 | 06:46 PM
30 Sep, 2020 | 09:47 AM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]