Death of Minuwangoda suspect’s mother during police raid – investigations underway

Death of Minuwangoda suspect’s mother during police raid – investigations underway

Written by Staff Writer

20 Feb, 2014 | 7:22 am

A team headed by a superintendent of police has commenced investigations into an incident where a woman had died when the Minuwangoda Police launched a raid during the early hours of Wednesday morning.

The mother of the suspect that was to be arrested has fallen ill during the raid and had died shortly after being admitted to hospital.

Based on the instructions of the Minuwangoda Police OIC, three officers attached to a night patrol raided this house at around 2 a.m.

The raid was conducted to apprehend an individual who was involved in a brawl that had broken out on February 16 during a cricket match.

The suspect in question had been in the house at the time of the raid along with his wife, two children, his mother and his two younger brothers.

Eldest brother of Ranil Prasad said: “Our mother  arrived at the location had attempted to save her younger son from being beaten by the police.”

Ramal Pradeep, the youth who was allegedly assaulted said that their mother had suddenly fallen ill as the incident was transpiring and she was rushed to hospital in the vehicle used by the Police Patrol Unit.

Daughter-in-law of the deceased,  who also expressed view, s said that the suspect’s mother was admitted to the Minuwangoda Base Hospital but passed away soon afterwards.

According to relatives,  the fifty-year-old woman had been suffering from diabetes and she was also due to travel to the Ragama Hospital to check up on a heart ailment.

According to the Police Media Spokesperson the victim had not suffered any internal or external wounds. However,  a detailed report inquiring into the cause of death is due to be formulated following investigations.

Twenty-four-year-old Ramal Pradeep is currently receiving in-house treatment at the Gampaha Base Hospital.

When we inquired about this matter from Police Media Spokesperson, SSP Ajith Rohana, he said: “The twenty- year-old’s father had met with the OIC of the Minuwangoda Police and had lodged a complaint about his assault and stated that the Minuwangoda Police had not taken any action. “

“Teams have already been deployed for investigations,  however no arrests were made. Then,  this morning at around 2 am the officers arrived at the residence of one of the suspects. All police officers were in uniform and were in an official vehicle. the police was forced to enter the house using the back door.”




Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]