Dozens killed in Boko Haram attack

Dozens killed in Boko Haram attack

Dozens killed in Boko Haram attack

Written by Staff Writer

17 Feb, 2014 | 1:23 pm

At least 90 people have been killed in Nigeria’s northeastern Borno state by suspected members of Boko Haram, an armed group that wants to carve out a state ruled by Islamic law in the country’s north.

Witnesses say the fighters came into the village of Izghe, near the border with Cameroon, on Saturday night and killed the mostly Christian residents.

The attackers surrounded Izghe, spraying it with bullets, setting off explosions and burning down dozens of houses, they said.

Chanting “Allah is great”, they shot dozens of villagers and slit the throats of others, the witnesses said.

Lawal Tanko, Borno state police commissioner, confirmed the reports but said he had no details of casualties.

Lawan Madu, a witness, told Reuters news agency that hundreds of residents had fled following the attack.

“They killed many, many people in the attack late on Saturday. From the latest information I have gathered, more than 60 people have been killed,” Maina Ularamu, a local government official, told AFP news agency from Abuja.

“They looted businesses and food stores and loaded all their spoils into vehicles owned by residents and fled into the bush.”

Ularamu, who was preparing to return to Maiduguri to deal with the fallout, said details of the attack had yet to be verified.

Survivors said they are among hundreds of people from Izghe and neighbouring villages who fled on foot through the bush in the night from Borno into Adamawa, two of three northeast Nigerian states under a state of emergency since May last year.

Al Jazeera

Latest News

Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]