Written by Staff Writer
09 Nov, 2013 | 10:29 am
At least 100 people have reportedly been killed by Typhoon Haiyan in one city, according to a Philippine official.
Capt John Andrews, Deputy Director General of the Civil Aviation Authority, said the bodies were lying in the streets of the city of Tacloban.The storm ripped apart buildings and triggered landslides when it hit the central Philippines on Friday. Power and communication lines were also cut to some areas.
Aid agencies are struggling to reach the city, as its airport has been badly damaged and only military flights are able to operate, he adds.
The Philippine government has praised the evacuation effort which at least until now seems to have kept the number of people killed relatively low. But it may be days before the final death toll is known, our correspondent says.
Officials had said more than 12 million people were at risk. Much of the region affected had already been struggling to recover from an earthquake last month. The typhoon is expected to hit Vietnam over the weekend.
22 Jan, 2019 | 10:00 PM
22 Jan, 2019 | 09:15 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]