Written by Staff Writer
17 Feb, 2019 | 10:04 pm
COLOMBO (News 1st) – There is still no information on the two businessmen Manjula Asela and Rasheen Chinthaka, who were reported missing since the 23rd of last month, from Rathgama, Galle.
However, the Criminal Investigation Division of Galle seized a luxury van which is said to have been used to abduct the two businessmen. The van was taken into custody from Gonaamulla, Udugama. Both businessmen were abducted at Manjula Asela’s residence.
Relatives of the missing businessmen continuously claim that an armed group clad in uniforms similar to those of police officers had arrived at the house on the day of the incident and had taken the persons.
Meanwhile, an anonymous letter which was sent to the missing persons’ residences last week had stated that the two businessmen had been abducted by a special unit operating under the Senior DIG’s office of the Southern Province. The letter which is claimed to have been issued by the aforementioned special unit had stated that the purpose of issuing the letter was to notify the families of their demise. One person had died while being interrogated and the other had been killed as he had witnessed the other person’s death.
Manjula Asela, one of the victims’ who was abducted is a poultry businessman and had been a suspect relating to a murder that occurred 12 years ago.
Father of Manjula Asela said that his son is only one suspect of the murder and that there are 4-5 others as well. He had added that his son appears before courts for hearing and goes to the CID monthly as well.
Meanwhile, a relative of Rasheen Chinthaka had claimed that just three minutes after the abduction that a policeman attached to the Rathgama police had stood opposite their house and taken a call. When the relatives had mentioned of the abduction to him he had appeared to acknowledge the fact and had walked off the scene. He added that upon mentioning the fact to the IP attached to the Rathgama police that he had denied of such an officer to be present at the incident.
Meanwhile, Senior DIG in charge of the Southern Province, Ravi Wijegunawardena has been transferred to the police headquarters on a temporary basis with effect from today (February 17). The media spokesperson of Police said this was done based on the orders of the IGP following the approval given by the National Police Commission.
22 Feb, 2019 | 10:12 PM
08 Jan, 2019 | 09:19 PM
Are you interested in advertising on our website or video channel
Please contact us at [email protected]