COLOMBO (News 1st)
1. A request has been made by fugitive former Central Bank Governor Arjuna Mahendran for copies of the arrests warrant and evidence against him on the Bond Scam.
2. UPFA MP Ranjith De Zoysa notes that an individual by the name of Sandaruwan Senadeera had been contracted by three senior members of the Government to attack members of the Joint Opposition and the government.
3. Railway Trade Unions claim that the Minister of Finance is against the decision to resolve salary anomalies.
4. Chairman of the COPE Sunil Handunnetti revealed in Parliament the details of an attempt to extend the tenure of the General Manager of Peoples bank who draws a monthly salary of Rs. 2.1 Mn.
5. JO reveals that Walkers Colombo Shipyard Pvt. Ltd, a subsidiary of CML Walkers, which received an Rs. 10 Bn loan from People’s Bank, has to make payments of nearly Rs. 3.5 million to the government.
6. Former Chairman of SriLankan Airlines, Nishantha Wickremesinghe provides a statement to the CID Unit of the Presidential Commission of Inquiry looking into irregularities at SriLankan Airlines and Mihin Lanka.
7. Minister of Health (Dr.) Rajitha Senarate states that the Ministry of Health will begin regulating the charges of private hospitals by next week.
8. Japanese Defence Minister Itsunori Onedera has told Japanese media that Japan wants Sri Lanka’s southern Hambantota port to be “free of military activities”.
9. Six Indian fishermen who were drowning in Sri Lankan territorial waters were rescued by Sri Lanka Navy on Wednesday (August 22).
1. Scott Morrison will become the new Prime Minister of Australia after being elected as the new leader of the liberal party. Morrison becomes the 6th Australian prime minister in 11 years.
1. Former England captain David Beckham will be presented the 2018 UEFA President’s Award, in recognition of his remarkable career and humanitarian efforts.