COLOMBO (News 1st)
1. Railway ticket prices to be increased by 15% with effect from the 1st of October.
2. Around 1364 land deeds presented to beneficiaries in Kegalle under the auspices of Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe.
3. A canal flowing through the U.E Perera Mawatha and Arunodhaya Mawatha in Rajagiriya has been blocked due to illegal constructions in the area that were put up several years ago.
4. The Sunday Times reports that attempts are being made to arrest a former senior official at SriLankan Airlines, who served during the tenure of the previous government.
5. Director General of the National Aquatic Resources Research and Development Agency says that a special investigation is underway to ascertain the impact of clinical waste that washed up on the shores of Puttalam on marine life and surrounding ecosystems.
6. Three individuals were arrested in Pemaduwa, Wilachchciya for the possession of 20 packets of drugs.
7. Japanese Defence Minister, Itsunori Onodera is expected to arrive in Sri Lanka today for a two-day official visit.
8. A pilot project was launched within the Northern range of the Western Province to mobilize all law enforcement agencies to crack down on narcotics and drug rackets.
9. SriLankan Airlines has made an announcement that passengers who purchased air tickets to Cochin, India will be able to fly to any of South India’s airports without having to pay extra charges.
10. The National Child Protection Authority (NCPA) decides to establish 330 volunteer committees at the divisional level to look into child abuse.
1. A 6.9-magnitude earthquake struck the Indonesian island of Lombok, just hours after a 6.3-magnitude quake shook the island.
1. Indonesia President Joko Widodo formally opened the 18th Asian Games with a spectacular pyrotechnic show including a simulated volcanic eruption.