COLOMBO (News 1st)
1. President conveys his expectations to make Sri Lanka the number one country in the world, in the fight against corruption at the Global Expert Group meeting held on Jakarta Principles.
2. The President yesterday (July 25) suspended political appointments and promotions granted to over 1000 persons in the education sector.
3. JVP MP Vijitha Herath stated that moves are afoot to privatise state enterprises.
4. PCOI discloses that Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe and Minister Kabir Hashim approved the appointment of Suren Ratwatte as CEO of SriLankan Airlines, whilst avoiding the normal evaluation procedure.
5. The money trail of the MIG deal has led investigators to 5 different bank accounts in Dubai – Cabinet Spokesperson Minister Rajitha Senaratne.
1. North Korea continues to produce fissile material for nuclear bombs in spite of its pledge to denuclearize, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Wednesday (July 25).
2. Wildfires scorched parts of California on Wednesday (July 25) as the state grapples with several major blazes this summer. The fast-burning Cranston fire in Hemet prompted evacuations and authorities said one person was in custody on suspicion of starting the blaze.
1. Serena Williams has accused anti-doping authorities of “discrimination” because of the frequency with which she has been selected for random drug tests.