COLOMBO (News 1st)
1. President Maithripala Sirisena stated Sri Lanka’s commitment to expand existing forest density up to 32 percent at the 24th session of the Committee on Forestry and the 6th World Forest Week held in Rome, Italy.
2. Several NGO’s carry on efforts to introduce draconian laws that would enable the imprisonment and fining of journalists. The action is currently spearheaded by the National Secretariat for Media Reforms (NSMR)
3. Sri Lankan Airlines paid a sum of Rs. 415 Million to Kuma Stickers Pvt Ltd and Vihanga Marketing and Advertising Services Pvt Ltd for advertising services over a period of 7 years.
4. Former Police DIG Prasanna Nanayakkara and Former Mount Lavinia Police Sub-Inspector Thissa Sugathapala previously arrested for concealing evidence in the investigation into the assassination of journalist Lasantha Wickramthunga have been released on bail.
5. Minister of Transport and Civil Aviation, Nimal Siripala stated that uniforms would be made mandatory for all bus drivers and conductors of the Sri Lanka Transport Board from the next year.
1. Russian president Vladimir Putin has met with his US counterpart Donald Trump at the Finnish Capital, Helsinki to discuss a variety of aspects. (i.e Trade, military, missiles and China)
2. A fusillade of the Kilauea volcanic lava struck on an ocean tour boat in Hawaii injures 22 people adding history as the worst casualty accident due to the ongoing eruption of the volcano.
1. President Emmanuel Macron invites French soccer team; Les Bleus to the Elysee Palace for a reception as honour over their victory in bringing the World Cup 2018 to Paris.